Mentor | Train | Mentor Program
Rehab to Employment Mentorship
Provide regular mentorship and baseline business skills training beginning early in the veteran’s vocational rehab experience in order to establish consistent compliance with their IWRP and long-term employment success. Working closely with the counselor, GID provides business training and structure to achieve milestones and accomplish goals along a path to achieve meaningful employment. Provide professional workshop experiences in resume building, mock interviewing, and interaction with HR and business professionals.
- Leverage GID’s experience, skill, and trust to assist both the veteran and the counselor.
- Provide valuable structure and establish veteran accountability beginning early in VR&E process.
- Train on and establish a baseline of knowledge on business management tools and techniques which are actually applied while in training or undergrad education. Program includes:
- An individualized project plan that maps out compliance with their IWRP tasks, milestones, and deliverables along the path to meaningful employment.
- A monthly IWRP status report prepared by the veteran and submitted to the counselor through the GID mentor providing visibility and predictability.
- Risk management and issue management training and application to IWRP compliance.
- Feedback and specific recommendations to the counselor based on regular interaction with real-world service-disabled vet mentors and business advisors.
- Active assistance in finding meaningful employment by making potential employers aware of the intangible and financial benefits of hiring service-disabled vets and by acting as an advocate for the vet.
- Two interactive workshops:
- A full-day workshop in areas of veteran transition vulnerability and how to break old military habits, along with detailed resume building. Interview skill training including the STAR technique – Situation, Task, Action, Result and hands-on experience using STAR.
- Interaction with business professionals during a business panel workshop and participation in mock interviewing with HR and hiring manager professionals.